The Moon. One of the biggest symbols for most Pagans. It is a focus for magic of all types, representative of multiple deities, and one of the easily visible astronomical beauties we can all enjoy.
The Moon affects the tides and, it is commonly believed, our behavior.
This week was the week of the Full Moon in Libra. I had a few friends over and we celebrated in a very casual fashion. My Full Moon rituals now consist of sitting outside with incense. I will usually write a few things down that I hope to gain/lose/energy that I wish to send out. I burn that paper in my cauldron. We sit and chat and generally just enjoy being under the light of the moon.
The moon’s phases are a really great focal tool:
- New Moon: (Maiden) magick for new beginnings.
- Waxing Moon: magick for energy you want directed toward you (prosperity, fertility, happiness, protection)
- Full Moon: (Mother) pretty much great as an all-purpose focus.
- Waning Moon: magick for energy you wish to banish (ill-health, depression, unwanted energy)
- Dark Moon: (Crone) magick for endings.
This is a seriously, super-duper simplified description. I will be adding to this as this month goes on.
I will look into the different meanings behind not just each monthly moon, but also into how the moon signs affect the moon.